The WSTC is a professional association that exists to promote excellence and professionalism in the tax preparation industry through education, networking, and adherence to the highest ethical standards. It is guided by a code of ethics that we expect all of our members to adhere to in their practices and when preparing tax returns and assisting clients.
The WSTC Code of Ethics
I Shall . . .
- Conduct myself as a professional.
- Respect the confidential relationship of client and consultant.
- Keep any information regarding a client confidential without his/her written permission detailing disclosure.
- Prepare a return after thoroughly interviewing a client to avoid errors, omissions, or non-compliance with the tax law to the client’s benefit as well as mine.
- Identify with the firm name, address and my signature all returns for which a fee is charged. One copy shall be supplied to the client.
- Prepare returns within my field of experience and competence unless assisted by another in authority on such returns.
- Share tax information and experiences with fellow members, thereby seeking no unfair advantage over other members.
- Permit only those in partnership or an employee to practice in my name.
- Understand, if enjoined from practice, or convicted of a felony, membership in WSTC is automatically suspended, pending review by the proper committee of WSTC. If charged with unethical practice, all pertinent facts shall be placed before a neutral representative for investigation and judgment.